Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Freegan Results

Alright, so I don't have fancy pictures like Claire below me, but I also wanted to report on the success of Freegan Run #1. First, we had been warned that it would be a nasty, unpleasant job. Sorry to say, but it was SO FUN. We giggled, joked, laughed, and skulked around in complete jest. It wasn't gross, well it wasn't too gross, and it was a good time with my fellow hippies.

I live on my own and I've been struggling to get through all the food we harvested. I had breakfast off of bakery goods for the first half of my week (so unhealthy, so yum), and fruit and toast for the remainder, all dredged up from the depths of Thrown Out By Other People. Tomorrow I'll have two of the eggs we salvaged on toast, and I'm looking forward to it!

For lunch this week I made vegan peanut satay soup:

Pumpkin (freegan)
Carrot (freegan)
Potato (freegan)
Red chili (freegan)
Garlic and onion
Lemon (backyard; does that count as freegan?)
Coconut milk
Cumin and fresh tumeric
Peanut butter
Vegetable stock
Rolls for dipping (freegan)

I have to pat myself on the back. It's pretty stellar soup.

Tonight I'm making:

Capsicum (freegan) stuffed with kangaroo (NOT freegan, or vegan, or anything but yummy and already in my freezer), bread crumbs (freegan), tomato (freegan), garlic, and mushrooms
Steamed beans (freegan), snow peas (freegan), and leeks doused in dill-lemon butter
And just to make it especially un-hippy, I'll even add the dairy product of grilled Haloumi.

I've also been working my way through pineapple, pears, and apples. All in all, I am a total freegan convert. We are planning run #2 sometime next week. If you are curious, get in touch with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment